The Governor's Office of Management and Budget (GOMB) performs an Executive Branch review of Administrative Rules as required by the Executive Order of March 22, 1988. That order requires that Agency Directors cooperate with the Governor's Office of Management & Budget in implementing executive review of administrative rules. Since that time, Governors have felt it necessary to foster a regulatory balance between the people and the people's government. Public concern over regulation continues to be high, and there is a need for rules to be scrutinized by someone other than those who write them.
1. What does GOMB look for in a rule?
- What purposes are served by departments or agencies in making a rule?
- What are the impacts on citizens and the business community?
- What are the legal or liability questions raised by the rule?
- Are there conflicts or overlaps in policy with other government entities?
- What is the cost impact on the state budget of a rule?
2. When are proposed rules reviewed?
3. What other things does GOMB do to coordinate rules?
GOMB staff work with the Legislative Administrative Rules Review Committee, the Division of Administrative Rules, and other agencies -- to resolve rules conflicts. At their request, GOMB can assist departments and agencies in writing rules. Agencies may also submit drafts to GOMB for research when legal and policy questions arise. Also, since many rule questions involve state laws, GOMB works with legislators to seek statutory clarifications or reforms.
4. Can a public citizen get help with a rule question or problem?
Yes! Citizens may request help by contacting:
Hunter Finch - Governor's Rule Analyst
Utah State Capitol - Suite 150
P.O. Box 132210
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2210
Phone: (801) 538-1553 - Fax (801) 538-1547
E-MAIL: Hunter Finch
5. Another Executive-Branch source for administrative rule matters is:
The Division of Administrative Rules
P.O. Box 141007
Room 4120, State Office Building
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-1007
Phone: (801) 538-3764
FAX: (801) 359-0759
Internet URL: http://www.rules.utah.gov
6. Rules may be found at: http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code.htm (effective rules published in the Utah Administrative Code)
http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bulletin.htm (proposed and emergency rules published in the Utah State Bulletin
GOMB is located in the Utah State Capitol - Suite 150 - P.O. Box 132210 -
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2210 - Telephone (801) 538-1027 - Fax (801) 538-1547